Stationary Engineer's The Difference Between diplomas, certificates and tickets


for Stationary Engineers

Stationary Engineer Technician diplomas are what you get when you graduate from an accredited education institution.

Tickets and certificates are similar to each other in that they are a piece of paper from a government authority or regulatory board indicating you are in compliance with their regulations and have been deemed educated in the technology and competent to perform the tasks of a Stationary Engineer 4th Class, 3rd Class, 2nd Class, or 1st Class. In some states there are fewer regulator restrictions.  In most states you will require certification or a diploma as a Stationary Engineer.  In some states you may not need a diploma or certificate.  However, any one who does have a diploma has a marked advantage over those that don't. Those with a diploma are often chosen over those that have many years of experience and no deploma.

In Canada you will require a certificate to be eligible to work as a Power Engineer Technologist or Stationary Engineer anywhere in the country.  Depending on your situation, you may write exams for your diploma and get government certification or ticket within days of each other so you don't have to re-study for your certification exam again months down the road. That's the smart way. Try your best to line it up that way. You are examined on the same material in both so, it makes sense to do it that way. Taking the S.A.I.T. or The National Institute for the Uniform Licensing of Power Engineers course material and writing their exams counts as steam time (or apprenticeship time) towards different levels of certification and in some cases allows you to write off your 4th and 3rd Class certificates immediately upon completion of your S.A.I.T. courses.  Contact your local technical institute or government labor department to get definitive answers to all your questions as to what is required by law in your jurisdiction for certificates and tickets before making any moves.

Contact either of these authorities for State Side information on Stationary Engineer and Power Engineer tickets and certificates:

The National Institute for the Uniform Licensing of Power Engineers (USA)

Click to Enter Site

Table of contents
  • Men and women in the business.
  1. Steve. The "Bad Boy of P.E.T." who has hit the six figure income bracket.
  2. Don. Work in at the brewery.
  3. John. Chief Engineer at the brewery.
  4. Chad. A newbe.
  5. Matt. A newbe.
  6. Warren. A newbe.
  7. Older Warren. Lots of experience.
  8. Chris. He used P.E.T. as a spring board to another career.
  9. Earl. Retired but still working full time???
  10. Brian. Working the 9 to 5, Monday to Friday routine.
  11. Hanna. Works in the electrical power generating industry.
  • Scope of P.E.T. Technology.
  • DARK SECRETS. ****Things people do and shouldn’t do, while on shift.
  • Internet links to:
  1. US job opportunities
  2. Canadian job opportunities
  3. US apprenticeship and training
  4. Canadian apprenticeship and training
  5. Other countries and their job opportunities
  6. US Labor agencies.


Copyright 1990 to 2012 The North American Information Association
All rights reserved